90 Base Cards
8 Cards Per Pack
24 Packs Per Box
12 Boxes Per Case
The 90-card ultra-premium base set features 18 pt. stock and includes images from the series that have never before appeared on trading cards.
Two of the new subsets in this release include:
- Exclusive cards for each season from the creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer himself, Joss Whedon!
BUFFY "SEASON 8" CARDS
- Eight cards featuring new "Season 8" storylines and the Amazing Dark Horse Comics cover art.
PLUS, look for these randomly inserted bonus cards:
"SLAYER'S ESSENTIAL" PROPWORKS CARD
- Own a piece of the stake! This special card (#SE-1) features a piece of the genuine resin stake used in the filming of Buffy The Vampire Slayer. Each card will be sequentially numbered. (1 card - inserted approx. 1:2,304 packs)
- ONE PER BOX! 14 different cards featuring pieces of the actual costumes worn on-screen during Buffy the Vampire Slayer. (inserted appx. 1:24 packs):
* PW-1 Black leather coat worn by Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers in the Season 5 episode “Shadow.”
* PW-2 Red pants worn by Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers in the Season 4 episode “Doomed.”
* PW-3 Denim jacket worn by Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers in the Season 6 episode ‘Seeing Red.”
* PW-4 Corduroy embroidered jacket worn by Alyson Hannigan as Willow Rosenberg in the Season 4 episode “Something Blue.”
* PW-5 Dual-costume card: T-Shirt and Jeans worn by Nicholas Brendon as Xander Harris in the Season 6 episode “Life Serial.”
* PW-6 Plaid shirt worn by Nicholas Brendon as Xander Harris in the Season 7 episode “Potential.”
* PW-7 Sweater worn by Anthony Head as Rupert Giles in the Season 4 episode “New Moon Rising.”
* PW-8 Dress worn by Emma Caulfield as Anya in the Season 5 episode “Tough Love.”
* PW-9 Dual-costume card: Top and Pants worn by Emma Caulfield as Anya in the Season 6 episode “Villains.”
* PW-10 Pajama pants worn by Michelle Trachtenberg as Dawn Summers in the Season 6 episode “Once More, With Feeling.”
* PW-11 Dual-costume card: Top and Pants worn by Iyari Limon as Kennedy in the Season 7 episode “Potential.”
* PW-12 Knit cap worn by Felicia Day as Vi in the Season 7 episode “Potential.”
* PW-13 Purse worn by Ashanti as Lissa in the Season 7 episode “First Date.”
* PW-14 Dual-costume card: Shirt and pants comprising the official Double Meat Palace uniform from the Season 6 episode “Double Meat Palace.” Now you can be a part of the Double Meat experience!
WELCOME TO SUNNYDALE
- Special pocket guide map folds out to show the scenic locations of Sunnydale! (1 card - inserted approx. 1:145 packs).
FRIENDS FOREVER - PIECEWORKS® PUZZLE CARDS
- Four puzzle Pieceworks® cards featuring the costumes of Buffy, Willow, Xander and Giles! Click Here for Images of all four cards. (4 cards - inserted approx. 1:287 packs).
- A nine-card commemorative puzzle that looks back at the seven amazing seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. (9 different cards - inserted approximately 1:11 packs)
- Eight cards with exclusive insights written by Joss Whedon about your favorite Buffy characters! (8 different cards - inserted approximately 1:17 packs).
LEADER OF SLAYERS
- A special three card bonus level. (3 cards - Inserted approximately 1:23 packs).
PLUS - A special case loader "LEGENDARY"
(1 card - 1 per shipping case).
Look for the exclusive collector album to complete the collection, plus, the very limited 9-card uncut mini-press sheet (only 250 will be available!)
What Did We Pull?
Set 1: 90/90 (100%)
Set 2: 86/90 (96%)
The base set is divided into groups of 9 to fit nicely into a binder. The curve on the right hand side, with the circle over it, reminds me of the design on the Piecework insert from Buffy Memories. It is neat how Inkworks subtly tie these sets together.
For every season that this set reviews, there is a card with the back titled “Joss’ Notes” where he reminisces about that season or episode. It is neat to get the behind the scenes scoop from the creator himself!
My favorite subset is “Season 8,” which have artwork from the Dark Horse comics, and let you know what has happened to your favorite Buffy character.
F8 - Buffy: ... This is the work that I have to do. (Season 5: The Gift)
F9 - Giles: Um, Anya, while, while I completely… (Season 5: Triangle)
- what this looks like completed with all 9 cards:
A nice foil insert set; which makes a nice mural highlighting images of the main cast of characters from all seven seasons, once you collect all 9 cards!
R6 - Oz
R7 - Anya
Interesting idea for these cards. The backs have an interview where creator Joss Whedon reminisces with the characters. He asks them questions like “What was it like being played by Seth Green!” where Oz responds “‘Kay.” Also, the foil on these cards – which no scan could give it justice – is stunning underneath the word “Recollections,” with brilliant hues of blues and greens reflecting throughout.
LEADER OF SLAYERS
L1 - Divided (Season 2: What's My Line, Pt.2)
Another nice looking foil card, with an interesting design surrounding the image.
WELCOME TO SUNNYDALE
M1 - Welcome to Sunnydale
Write-up is below…
PW14 - Shirt and pants from Double Meat Palace uniform (Season 6: Double Meat Palace)
If you see the other piecework cards, they all match in design; however, this piecework (card PW-14) has a completely different design from the rest. I like the break from the other design, but I think it should not be PW-14, but have a different card number, since it doesn’t look like it fits into the set.
This piecework is designed to mimic the Doublemeat Palace uniform, which is pretty funny.
I like the “Welcome to Sunnydale” insert the best. It is a unique idea, and I’m pleased that I pulled it. With the old map inside, you learn the layout of this town with the help of a key and a compass rose. The sign on the front of the card gives interesting stats like “Population 38,000” and “Established 1909.” Also, the back of the card has “Now Leaving Sunnydale: Come Back Soon!” which I think is funny. Great job Inkworks on this inventive card!
Final Thoughts / Grade:
I am happy that I pulled a complete set, and am only 4 cards shy of a second set. The box was nicely calibrated.
I have always liked how Inkworks makes their Buffy base sets to be in groupings of nine, so they fit nicely into a binder. In addition to the base set, the insert set “Forever” would look great inside a binder, since it is made to be a puzzle-based insert set.
I was thrilled to have pulled the Welcome to Sunnydale map card. What a cool concept!
The dual piecework was my first non-sports dual worn card that I’ve ever pulled, so that was sweet! Also, the shirt being two colors is an added bonus!
The only complaint I have is that this piecework is not assigned to a character. I would have liked to have known who wore it, even if it wasn’t a main character.
Overall, I was very happy with this box break, and give it a solid A!
A HUGE thanks to Inkworks and NSCF/NSCI for the being able to do this review!