Wizard World Online Priceguide
Old 05-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
bret2
Photobucket

Location: Christy Hemme's back pocket and sometimes her front
My Card Inventory
Default Wizard World Online Priceguide

Wizard has just launched their online monthly priceguide. It's free to download. the first issue contains Golden and Silver age books.

http://www.wizardworlddigital.com/r/em130511

CLICK FOR PHOTOBUCKET
bret2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
ricksam
LEGEND

My Card Inventory

cool i was checking out their digital mag just the other day ... good pics
ricksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
HoosierBuddy
HOFer

My Card Inventory

Just like the print magazine before, this is completely worthless. All they list are NM prices for books. It's great to know that a copy of Action Comics #1 is "worth" $1,000,000. Susposedly. But of course, it really isn't. Just because ONE copy of the book sold for $1M doesn't automatically make it a $1M book. It means some rich douche with more money than brains decided to blow a large chunk of it on a comic book.

Furthermore, it doesn't tell me what a GOOD copy of Action Comics #1 is worth. And I'm FAR more likely to find a GOOD copy than I ever will a NM copy.

People bitch about Overstreet only coming out once a year, and not being accurate on "current" books. They complain because books like Walking Dead #1 is listed as a $40 book and "I can easily get $150+ for a copy." But Wizard honestly isn't any better, and it was supposed to come out monthly.

HoosierBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
Nicnac
LEGEND

My Card Inventory

Ugh. I'm with Hoosier. Who wants 'book value' to stick around? I'm tired of seeing autos that sell for $40 listed on feebay for $80 because that's what some guide says they're worth.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
HoosierBuddy
HOFer

My Card Inventory

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for book value. I think it helps tremendously when attempting to make certain trades. However, for a price guide to only focus on Golden and Silver Age books ... and then to only list the price for the NM condition version of said books, when the majority of the books you'll find will NOT be in NM condition, makes the guide worthless.

As for non-sports and such, I really don't have a handle on the values of cards, and I'll never be able to figure it out. Which is why I generally don't attempt to trade or sell non-sports cards all that often.

I have a Buffy Season 3 auto of Juliet Landeu. It "books" for about $70, but regularly sells for $130. I used to have a Buffy Season 7 Inari (sp?) Limon auto that "books" for $40, but that I had to practically give away. I think I finally sold it for $10 delivered.

HoosierBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
bret2
Photobucket

My Card Inventory

I also agree with the above statements. I would really like to see an Overstreet type monthly guide that shows me values for the other conditions. Does anyone know how often comicspriceguide.com updates their prices?

CLICK FOR PHOTOBUCKET
Old 05-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
ricksam
LEGEND

My Card Inventory

dont some guides have blanket rule .. something like vg = 10% NM; g = 50% NM; f = 90% NM

having all the conditions might just take up too much time, space - when a blanket statement works

and i made up those percentages for example
ricksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
bret2
Photobucket

My Card Inventory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksam View Post
dont some guides have blanket rule .. something like vg = 10% NM; g = 50% NM; f = 90% NM

having all the conditions might just take up too much time, space - when a blanket statement works

and i made up those percentages for example

This is true and most probably the reason they do it. Beckett,Toyfare etc do the same thing.Still being old school like I am I still like seeing the different grade prices.

CLICK FOR PHOTOBUCKET
Old 05-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #9
weasel-king
Banner

My Card Inventory

I'll play devil's advocate--at least getting an online priceguide is a big leap forward.

That being said, though, the only way this will work is if the prices are actually updated. It is an impossible task to get every book listed a good look each month for confirmed sales, but at least keep them relatively current. I don't know the market for golden age books, but I doubt there is a lot of monthly movement unless a momentous sale happens (such as the AC#1) or a "good" movie is released (meaning the Batman movies probably invigorated key older issues).

Bottom line, keep it updated, or the online version will be drawn and quartered like their print version was.

Are they planning on adding modern books to this? If so, they better have an entire staff of people tracking prices...

Go green--reuse toploaders!
Available sketchcards, some being added each week.
weasel-king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:56 PM   #10
bret2
Photobucket

My Card Inventory

The May 25th issue is suppose to have the Bronze age books and I imagine the modern age will follow.

CLICK FOR PHOTOBUCKET
Old 05-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #11
weasel-king
Banner

My Card Inventory

I used to frequent another message board when I collected hockey, back when Beckett Hockey was a monthly publication. As is always the case, the prices were woefully out of date. Their method was that they polled certain dealers or card shop owners throughout the US and Canada for recent sales, etc. With their publishing schedule, when a new issue hit the stands any changes were already about 6-weeks behind. It's the nature of the print market with magazines. And this was for the least-collected of the major sports, so I can only imagine how the others were.

For the longest time they refused to use eBay sales. On one hand I can see the point--you have no way of verifying if the sale went through, or wasn't "won" by a shiller/friend of the seller who wanted a higher price, etc.

I got out of hockey just before they moved to the bi-monthly publication, so I don't know if they changed their ways. I vaguely remember the bi-monthlies having a much larger pricing section. And I think they started something online, too, but just don't recall the details anymore.

But as I mentioned, Wizard could do a great job at this. IF they hire the staff for it.

Go green--reuse toploaders!
Available sketchcards, some being added each week.
weasel-king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:56 PM   #12
bret2
Photobucket

My Card Inventory

I hope they use ebay an other auction sales in figuring prices. Maybe a system where you toss out the 2 highest and two lowest prices then figure the average.

They say that their guide will eventually include action figures and other collectibles. It'd be nice them to see an online nonsportscard guide.

CLICK FOR PHOTOBUCKET