Go Back   Non Sports Card Forum > NSCF Discussion > Show off your Collection

Bum Dawg's Famous Iowans Autograph Card Collection *scan heavy*
Old 03-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
Bum Dawg
SEMI-STAR

My Card Inventory
Default Bum Dawg's Famous Iowans Autograph Card Collection *scan heavy*

Here is my top 44 Famous Iowans autograph card collection. Why 44? Well that is how many of these cards fit into the display case I am putting them in! Hope you enjoy...this was a blast researching and finding these cards! The countdown begins with the youngest to the oldest.

44) Shawn Machel Johnson (born January 19, 1992) is an American artistic gymnast. She was the 2008 Olympic balance beam gold medalist and all-around, and floor exercise silver medalist, the 2007 all-around World Champion, and the 2007 and 2008 U.S. all-around champion. She also won the eighth season of Dancing with the Stars.

43) Jeremy Robert Hellickson (born April 8, 1987) is an American professional baseball pitcher with the Tampa Bay Rays of Major League Baseball. He was born in Des Moines, Iowa and attended Hoover High School.[1] Following the 2011 season, Hellickson was named American League Rookie of the Year.

42) Kyle Orton (born November 14, 1982) is an American football quarterback for the Kansas City Chiefs of the National Football League. He played college football at Purdue, where he started four straight bowl games.

41) Joel Ryan Hanrahan (born October 6, 1981 in Des Moines, Iowa), nicknamed The Hammer, is a Major League Baseball right-handed pitcher for the Pittsburgh Pirates.

40) Elijah Jordan Wood ( /ɪˈlaɪdʒə ˈdʒɔrdən ˈwʊd/; born January 28, 1981) is an American actor. He made his film debut with a minor part in Back to the Future Part II (1989), then landed a succession of larger roles that made him a critically acclaimed child actor by age 9. He is best known for his high-profile role as Frodo Baggins in Peter Jackson's critically acclaimed The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

39) Brandon James Routh (born October 9, 1979) is an American actor and former fashion model. He grew up in Iowa before moving to Los Angeles to pursue an acting career, and subsequently appeared on multiple television series throughout the early 2000s. In 2006, he gained greater recognition for his role as the titular hero of the 2006 film Superman Returns. He also had a recurring role in the TV series Chuck, as Daniel Shaw. Following this, he has had several supporting roles in television and film. In 2011, he portrayed the eponymous protagonist of another comic book film, Dylan Dog: Dead of Night.

38) Jason Momoa (born August 1, 1979) is an American actor and model.

He is known for his role as Ronon Dex (2005–2009) on military science fiction television series Stargate: Atlantis (2004–2009). Most recently, he became recognized for his role as the title character in the sword and sorcery film Conan the Barbarian (2011).[3] Before the film, Momoa appeared as Khal Drogo in the HBO medieval fantasy television series Game of Thrones (2011).

37) Christopher Ashton Kutcher (/ˈkʊtʃər/; born February 7, 1978),[1] best known as Ashton Kutcher, is an American actor, producer, former fashion model, and comedian, known for his portrayal of Michael Kelso in the Fox sitcom That '70s Show. He also created, produced and hosted Punk'd, and played lead roles in the Hollywood films Dude, Where's My Car?, Just Married, The Butterfly Effect, The Guardian, and What Happens in Vegas. He is also the producer and co-creator of the supernatural TV show Room 401 and the reality TV show Beauty and the Geek. Kutcher currently co-stars in the hit CBS sitcom Two and a Half Men as the character Walden Schmidt.

36) Zachary Harris Johnson (born February 24, 1976) is an American professional golfer on the PGA Tour and the 2007 Masters champion.

35) Kurtis Eugene "Kurt" Warner (born June 22, 1971) is a retired American football player. He played quarterback for three National Football League (NFL) teams: the St. Louis Rams, the New York Giants, and the Arizona Cardinals. He was originally signed by the Green Bay Packers as an undrafted free agent in 1994 after playing college football at Northern Iowa.[1] Warner would go on to be considered one of the best undrafted players of all time,[2] following a 12-year career regarded as one of the greatest stories in NFL history.[2][3]

34) Lara Flynn Boyle (born March 24, 1970) is an American film and television actress best known for her performances as Laura Palmer's best friend Donna Hayward in Twin Peaks and Assistant District Attorney Helen Gamble in The Practice. She has had a number of movie roles from the late 1980s through the present but has found the most recognition through her roles in television series.

33) ????? Awaiting the card coming back from Leaf Executive Cuts. Stay tuned!

Last edited by Bum Dawg; 03-10-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Bum Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
Davz13
moderator badge

My Card Inventory

very cool idea for a collection!
cant wait to see the next group!

http://www.freewebs.com/davz13/index.htm

Davz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:35 AM   #3
Nicnac
LEGEND

My Card Inventory

Hehe very nice. Something for eveyone. Thanks for sharing.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
thepick88
STAR

My Card Inventory

I'm from Iowa too so I'm pretty sure you missed a couple autos/relics...John Wayne, Lori Petty, AJ Schable, Dallas Clark, Donna Reed, Kirk Hinrich, Bob Feller, ...
thepick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
Bum Dawg
SEMI-STAR

My Card Inventory

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepick88 View Post
I'm from Iowa too so I'm pretty sure you missed a couple autos/relics...John Wayne, Lori Petty, AJ Schable, Dallas Clark, Donna Reed, Kirk Hinrich, Bob Feller, ...
You will have to wait and see if those made the cut! Just waiting on about 8 cuts from Leaf...and I can complete my list. I should clarify that to be in the running the person had to be born in Iowa, Jason Momoa is the only exception (born in Hawaii) since he went to school with my wife had to include him!

So Lori Petty and Dallas Clark aren't eligible since they were born away from Iowa.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #6
thepick88
STAR

My Card Inventory

I know Dallas and he was born in Livermore, IA and Lori Petty I believe was born in Sioux City. Adam Hulaska was born in Carroll. I know him also. I used to work with his mother-in-law. Cool idea though.
thepick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #7
Bum Dawg
SEMI-STAR

My Card Inventory

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepick88 View Post
I know Dallas and he was born in Livermore, IA and Lori Petty I believe was born in Sioux City. Adam Hulaska was born in Carroll. I know him also. I used to work with his mother-in-law. Cool idea though.
If that is true about Dallas and Lori then please update the Wikipedia site! But regardless I needed to cut them to 44...Dallas Clark, Lori Petty, Hulaska would finish out of the group.(though not too far out of it!)

I will probably have to do an update up to 50 in a few years to include uber basketball prospect Harrison Barnes!
Back to the countdown!
Old 04-14-2012, 03:10 AM   #8
Bum Dawg
SEMI-STAR

My Card Inventory
Default Back to the countdown!

33) Ronald Joseph "Ron" Livingston (born June 5, 1967) is an American film and television actor. His roles include a disaffected corporate employee (Peter Gibbons) in the film Office Space, a sardonic writer (Jack Berger) in a short-term relationship with Carrie Bradshaw in the TV show Sex and the City, and Captain Lewis Nixon in the miniseries Band of Brothers.

32) Francis Harper[1] (born May 17, 1966), known professionally as Hill Harper, is an American film, television and stage actor, and author. An alumnus of Harvard Law School, he is best known for his portrayal of Dr. Sheldon Hawkes in the CBS drama CSI: NY.

31) Theresa Lee "Terry" Farrell (born November 19, 1963) is an American actress and former fashion model. She is perhaps best known for her performances in the television series Star Trek: Deep Space Nine as Jadzia Dax and Becker as Regina Kostas.

Special thanks to forum member Chuck Bartowski for helping me obtain this card!

30) Roger Timothy Craig (born July 10, 1960) is a former NFL running back who won three Super Bowls (1984, 1988, 1989) while playing with the San Francisco 49ers with Joe Montana and Jerry Rice.

29) Peggy Annette Whitson (born February 9, 1960) is an American biochemistry researcher, NASA astronaut,[1] and NASA's Chief Astronaut. Her first space mission was in 2002, with an extended stay aboard the International Space Station as a member of Expedition 5. Her second mission launched October 10, 2007, as the first female commander of the ISS with Expedition 16.[2][3] With her two long-duration stays abroad the ISS, Whitson is NASA's most experienced female astronaut, with just over 376 days in space.[4] This also places her twentieth among all space flyers.

28) Thomas Dwaine "Tom" Arnold (born March 6, 1959) is an American actor and comedian. He has appeared in many films, perhaps most notably True Lies (1994). He was the host of The Best Damn Sports Show Period for four years.

27) Katherine Kiernan Maria "Kate" Mulgrew (born April 29, 1955) is an American actress, most noted for her roles on Star Trek: Voyager as Captain Kathryn Janeway and Ryan's Hope as Mary Ryan. She has performed in many television shows, theater productions and movies, earning a variety of awards for her acting, including an Obie Award, a Golden Satellite Award and a Saturn Award. She has also been nominated for a Golden Globe Award.

26) Michael Emerson (born September 7, 1954)[1] is an American actor who is perhaps best known for his roles as Benjamin Linus on Lost and fictional serial killer William Hinks in The Practice. In 2011 he began co-starring in the CBS series Person of Interest as Harold Finch.

25) Steven Joseph "Steve" Bartkowski (born November 12, 1952 in Des Moines, Iowa) is a former American football quarterback in the National Football League who played for the Atlanta Falcons (1975–1985) and the Los Angeles Rams (1986). Bartkowski was a consensus All-American his senior season in 1974 at the University of California, Berkeley.

24) Dan Gable (born October 25, 1948, in Waterloo, Iowa) is an American amateur wrestler. He is famous for having only lost one match in his entire Iowa State University collegiate career—his last, and winning gold at the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich, Germany while not giving up a single point. He was the head coach at the University of Iowa where he won 15 NCAA team titles from 1976–1997, after which he turned over his head coaching duties to Jim Zalesky.

23) Fredrick Lawrence "Fred" Grandy (born June 29, 1948) is a former actor best known for his role as 'Gopher' on the sitcom The Love Boat and who later became a member of the United States House of Representatives from the state of Iowa. Grandy was most recently the host of "The Grandy Group," a morning drive time radio talk show on 630 WMAL in Washington, D.C..[1]

22) Gerald Patrick "Jerry" Mathers (born June 2, 1948) is an American television, film, and stage actor. Mathers is best known for his role in the television sitcom series Leave It to Beaver (1957–1963), in which he played Theodore "Beaver" Cleaver, the younger son of archetypal suburban couple June and Ward Cleaver (played by Barbara Billingsley and Hugh Beaumont), and the brother of Wally Cleaver (played by Tony Dow).

21) Stephen Weaver Collins (born October 1, 1947) is an American actor, writer, and musician.[1] He is perhaps best known for playing the roles of Jake Cutter in Tales of the Gold Monkey and Eric Camden on the long running television series 7th Heaven and more recently as Dr. Dayton King on the ABC TV series No Ordinary Family.

I will try to do the Top 20 saturday and sunday to finish it up along with a shot of the whole collection displayed on the wall. Thanks for looking.

Last edited by Bum Dawg; 04-14-2012 at 03:21 AM.
20-11 While trying to keep my basement from flooding!
Old 04-15-2012, 04:41 AM   #9
Bum Dawg
SEMI-STAR

My Card Inventory
Default 20-11 While trying to keep my basement from flooding!

20) Marcia Karen Wallace (born November 1, 1942) is an American character actress, comedienne and game show panelist, primarily known for her roles in television situation comedies. She is perhaps best known for her roles as receptionist Carol Kester on the 1970s sitcom, The Bob Newhart Show, and as the voice of Edna Krabappel on the animated series The Simpsons, for which she won an Emmy for Outstanding Voice-Over Performance in 1992.

19) Howard Andrew "Andy" Williams (born December 3, 1927) is an American singer who has recorded 18 Gold-[1] and three Platinum-certified[2] albums. He hosted The Andy Williams Show, a TV variety show, from 1962 to 1971, as well as numerous television specials, and owns his own theater, the Moon River Theatre in Branson, Missouri, named after the song "Moon River", with which he is closely identified.

18) Cloris Leachman (born April 30, 1926) is an American actress of stage, film and television. She has won eight Primetime Emmy Awards—more than any other performer—and one Daytime Emmy Award. She won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress in the 1971 film The Last Picture Show.

17) John William "Johnny" Carson (October 23, 1925 – January 23, 2005) was an American television host and comedian, known for thirty years as host of The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson (1962–1992). Carson received six Emmy Awards, including the Governor Award, and a 1985 Peabody Award; he was inducted into the Television Academy Hall of Fame in 1987. Johnny Carson was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1992 and received a Kennedy Center Honor in 1993.[3]

16) Donna Reed (January 27, 1921 – January 14, 1986) was an American film and television actress.

With appearances in over 40 films, Reed received the 1953 Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her performance as Lorene in the war drama From Here to Eternity. She is noted for her role in the perennial Christmas favorite It's a Wonderful Life (1946). She worked extensively in television, notably as Donna Stone, an American middle class mother in the sitcom The Donna Reed Show (1958–1966), in which she played a more prominent role than many other television mothers of the era and for which she received the 1963 Golden Globe Award for Best TV Star - Female. Later in Reed's career she replaced Barbara Bel Geddes as Miss Ellie in 1984 season of the television melodrama, Dallas, and sued the production company for breach of contract when she was abruptly fired upon Bel Geddes's decision to return to the show.

15) Robert William Andrew "Bob" Feller (November 3, 1918 – December 15, 2010), nicknamed "The Heater from Van Meter," "Bullet Bob," and "Rapid Robert," was an American Major League Baseball pitcher. He was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1962.

One of the best right-handed pitchers in baseball history, Feller was a prodigy who entered the major leagues when he was 17. Feller played for the Cleveland Indians from 1936 to 1956, his career interrupted by four years of military service during World War II. He became the first pitcher to win at least twenty games in a season before the age of 21, threw three no-hitters and twelve one-hitters (both records at the time of his retirement), led the American League in strikeouts in seven seasons, and pitched 279 complete games. Feller was renowned for his fastball, which was officially clocked at 98 miles per hour by the U.S. Army (A record at the time, later bettered by Nolan Ryan), although it is commonly believed that he could throw much harder than that.[1][2] Ted Williams called Feller "the fastest and best pitcher I ever saw during my career", and Stan Musial believed he was "probably the greatest pitcher of our era."[3]

14) Dear Abby is the name of the advice column founded in 1956 by Pauline Phillips under the pen name Abigail Van Buren and carried on today by her daughter, Jeanne Phillips, who now owns the legal rights to the pen name.

13) Ann Landers was a pen name created by Chicago Sun-Times advice columnist Ruth Crowley in 1943 and taken over by Eppie Lederer in 1955.[1] For 56 years, the Ask Ann Landers syndicated advice column was a regular feature in many newspapers across North America. Due to this popularity, 'Ann Landers', though fictional, became something of a national institution and cultural icon.

12) Norman Ernest Borlaug (March 25, 1914 – September 12, 2009[1]) was an American agronomist, humanitarian, and Nobel laureate who has been called "the father of the Green Revolution".[2] Borlaug was one of six people to have won the Nobel Peace Prize, the Presidential Medal of Freedom and the Congressional Gold Medal.[3]

11) Marion Mitchell Morrison (born Marion Robert Morrison; May 26, 1907 – June 11, 1979), better known by his stage name John Wayne, was an American film actor, director and producer.[1] An Academy Award-winner, Wayne was among the top box office draws for three decades,[2][3] and was named the all-time top money-making star.[4] An enduring American icon, he epitomized rugged masculinity and is famous for his demeanor, including his distinctive calm voice, walk, and height.

...stay tuned for the top 10 on sunday!
Top Ten here we go!
Old 04-16-2012, 02:35 AM   #10
Bum Dawg
SEMI-STAR

My Card Inventory
Default Top Ten here we go!

10) Alton Glenn Miller (March 1, 1904 – missing in action[1] December 15, 1944) was an American jazz musician (trombone), arranger, composer, and bandleader in the swing era. He was one of the best-selling recording artists from 1939 to 1943, leading one of the best known "Big Bands". Miller's notable recordings include "In the Mood", "Moonlight Serenade", "Pennsylvania 6-5000", "Chattanooga Choo Choo", "A String of Pearls", "At Last", "(I've Got a Gal In) Kalamazoo", "American Patrol", "Tuxedo Junction", and "Little Brown Jug".[2] While he was traveling to entertain U.S. troops in France during World War II, Glenn Miller disappeared in bad weather over the English Channel.

9) Robert Meredith Willson (May 18, 1902 – June 15, 1984) was an American composer, songwriter, conductor and playwright, best known for writing the book, music and lyrics for the hit Broadway musical The Music Man. He wrote three other Broadway musicals, composed symphonies and popular songs, and his film scores were twice nominated for Academy Awards.

8) George Horace Gallup (November 18, 1901 – July 26, 1984) was an American pioneer of survey sampling techniques and inventor of the Gallup poll, a successful statistical method of survey sampling for measuring public opinion.

7) Mamie Geneva Doud Eisenhower (November 14, 1896 – November 1, 1979) was the wife of President Dwight D. Eisenhower, and First Lady of the United States from 1953 to 1961.

***CUSTOM CARD***

6) Grant DeVolson Wood (February 13, 1891 – February 12, 1942) was an American painter, born four miles east of Anamosa, Iowa. He is best known for his paintings depicting the rural American Midwest, particularly the painting American Gothic, an iconic image of the 20th century.[1]

***CUSTOM CARD***

5) Henry Agard Wallace (October 7, 1888 – November 18, 1965) was the 33rd Vice President of the United States (1941–1945), the Secretary of Agriculture (1933–1940), and the Secretary of Commerce (1945–1946). In the 1948 presidential election, Wallace was the nominee of the Progressive Party.

4) Fleet Admiral William Daniel Leahy (May 6, 1875 – July 20, 1959) was an American naval officer, building his reputation through administration and staff work. As Chief of Naval Operations (1937–39) he was the senior officer in Navy, overseeing the preparations for war. After retiring from the Navy he was appointed by his close friend President Franklin D. Roosevelt as Governor of Puerto Rico and, in his most controversial role,as Ambassador to Vichy France, which was an ally of Nazi Germany, 1940-42.[1]

Leahy was recalled to active duty as the personal Chief of Staff to President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1942 and served in that position throughout World War II, and continued under President Harry S. Truman until finally retiring in 1949. In effect, though not in title, he was the first Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff; he also presided over the American delegation to the Combined Chiefs of Staff. In these multiple roles he was at the center of all major American military decisions in World War II. As Fleet Admiral Leahy was the first U.S. naval officer ever to hold a five-star rank in the U.S. Armed Forces.

***CUSTOM CARD***

3) Herbert Clark Hoover (August 10, 1874 – October 20, 1964) was the 31st President of the United States (1929–33).

2) Adrian Constantine Anson (April 17, 1852 – April 14, 1922), nicknamed "Cap" (for "Captain") and "Pop", was a National Association and Major League Baseball first baseman. He played a record 27 consecutive seasons,[1] and was regarded as one of the greatest players of his era and one of the first superstars of the game.[2]

***CUSTOM CARD*** Secretarial signed.

1) William Frederick "Buffalo Bill" Cody (February 26, 1846 – January 10, 1917) was an American soldier, bison hunter and showman. He was born in the Iowa Territory (now the U.S. state of Iowa), in LeClaire but lived several years in Canada before his family moved to the Kansas Territory. Buffalo Bill received the Medal of Honor in 1872 for service to the US Army as a scout. One of the most colorful figures of the American Old West, Buffalo Bill became famous for the shows he organized with cowboy themes, which he toured in Great Britain and Europe as well as the United States.

Here is what it looks like all together. Thanks a lot for looking...my next project will be bigger and better!

Old 04-16-2012, 03:12 AM   #11
ScoobyDew79
SEMI-STAR

My Card Inventory

That is an absolutely amazing collection. Are you continuing to add to it?

On the Leaf Executive Collection cards, did you submit the items to Leaf yourself to get cut/encapsulated? And the custom cards, can you talk a little about how you made them?
ScoobyDew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:49 AM   #12
Bum Dawg
SEMI-STAR

My Card Inventory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDew79 View Post
That is an absolutely amazing collection. Are you continuing to add to it?

On the Leaf Executive Collection cards, did you submit the items to Leaf yourself to get cut/encapsulated? And the custom cards, can you talk a little about how you made them?
Right now it is pretty much complete...I may upgrade a few cards here or there.

All the executive cut cards were cuts I had certified and sent into Leaf to be made into cut cards.

The custom cards:

Grant Wood: Got the signature from his sisters estate, but PSA/DNA wouldn't give an opinion either way as to authentic or not. Go I got a cheap Kim Hunter razor cut off ebay, cracked the case, carefully cut out the Grant Wood auto and pasted it over the Hunter auto(sorry if this offends anyone)

Maimie Eisenhower: PSA/DNA authentic white house card. However the autograph was just too long to be made into a cut card. So I got a cheap Ted Koppel card and carefully cut out all the parts of the white house card so I could make it fit vertically. Then pasted it over the Koppel auto. I really like the look of this one.

William Leahy:
Just a great looking autograph, but once again too long to include the US Navy Admiral part. So I cut it in two and pasted it over a cheap Horrors of War card. Very happy with the look of this one.

Cap Anson:
This was a secretarial signed document from his days as City Clerk of Chicago. A real one is just too rare and costly. So I cut out the autograph and a section with his name and title and pasted it over a cheap Tony Gwynn Leaf Best of Baseball card(actually removed the autographed plastic plate and sold it for 5 or 6 bucks!)

All these custom cards were removed from the plastic cases they originally came in so hopefully no one thinks I am trying to pass them off as actually being made by these companies. Some may not like me changing cards like this, but I did what I needed to do.

This project was the most fun I have had collecting....ever! It helped me learn a lot about these people that came from the same state as me.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #13
Driftwood83

My Card Inventory

Awesome collection and great looking display.

I collect EVERYTHING Star Wars and Videogame related, let me know what you have.
Traders and My Collection
Complete Star Wars Want List (Adding More Daily)
Driftwood83 is offline   Reply With Quote